Friday, 19 October 2018

Valentino Knowles begins Pro Career

It has been a long time coming as many of his fans have been eager to see now former amateur boxing star Valentino Knowles, 24, from Kemp Road decide to step up to the professional ranks.

 

After weeks of thought and advice from family, friends and coaches he announced  on the Saturday Jan. 5th weekend that he has decided to turn professional.

Knowles a former Central American and Caribbean Games champion had said earlier that he was looking for a trainer and promotional company that he was comfortable with and that he could trust before deciding to turn professional.

In Miami, Florida he believes has found just that and will work under trainer Orlando Cuellar who coached former Jamaican light heavyweight champion Glen Johnson.  Knowles has not signed on with a management company at this stage of the transition. 

He has been pegged to start his professional career on a fight card in California on Friday January 25th.  His opponent at this time is unknown. 

Knowles said he would have liked to remain an amateur and try to medal at the Brazil Olympics in 2017 but that the local support for amateur boxers is not what it should be and he could not see himself doing another five years at the amateur ranks.

Knowles’ last official fight as an amateur was a loss in the last round of the AIBA Americas Olympic Qualifiers where he lost to David Rojas of Ecquador in the light welterweight (64 Kilo) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil last May.

Before leaving for camp in Miami Knowles told a local media house that he feels as though he has spent his time in amateur boxing and is confident he has the skills to be successful at the professional level.

While in The Bahamas Knowles keeps in shape and works out often at the Wulff Road Boxing square with veteran coach Ray Minus Jr.  

Managed by Innovation